Sunday, July 1, 2007

How many SassyCatalinas does it take to find a Crystal Palace?

So I went to the Buen Retiro park the other day. It's like Madrid's Central Park, and it's ginormous.

Anyway, I have been there before... In fact, I've visited the Retiro many different times on many different trips to Spain over the past ten years. And I have YET to ever see the famous nineteenth-century Palacio de Cristal.

So this day, I was focused and determined to find it, damnit. I mean, how hard could it possibly be to find a big palace made of glass in the middle of Madrid's most famous park?

Well, turns out... it actually is pretty hard because I always get so distracted.... after all, I can't visit the Retiro and not admire my favorite fountain there, El Angel Caido, which by the way, I am told is the only public statue of Satan in the world. Actually, it's not depicting Satan; it's depicting the fall of the angel, Lucifer--the moment before he becomes Satan....

Otherwise, if it was just a statue of Satan, in the middle of the Retiro, then...Houston, I think we have a problem....




Okay, then because I love flowers, I always end up moseying over to the Rosaleda, which smells like one big French perfume shop this time of year, and yes, it's even more amazing than it looks...














Okay, and by this time, it's already been an hour and I'm thirsty and hungry and I usually never make it to the other side of the park, where I vaguely know that the mysterious palace of glass is vaguely located.
But this day, I was determined and..well, not particularly focused...but determined (which was good enough).




And wouldn't you know it? The must-not-miss attraction in the Buen Retiro Park is ironically very easy to miss?

But finally, I stayed and searched and consulted maps (which is never a good idea; you put SassyCatalina in a big pretty park with a paper map, and fifteen minutes later, you get an origami Spanish fan--because it's really freaking hot here now!).... So by pure luck, voila! I fell upon it. El Palacio de Cristal. Hidden away like a little glass dollhouse, glinting in the sunlight!













And yes, it does really look like a parakeet's bird cage from the inside...




This is me, savoring la victoria!