Tuesday, July 10, 2007

Merci beaucoup, Paris!

Well, I´m back from Paris and all I can say is...I HAD THE MOST AMAZING TIME EVER! PARIS IS THE MOST FANTASIC CITY EVER. I WANT TO MOVE THERE... TOMORROW!

I was only suppose to stay four days in Paris (leaving Tuesday and returning Saturday). But instead, I ended up staying a week, mainly due to the fact that my cheap discount carrier flight (akkk-huhmm, cough *VUELING*) from Madrid to Paris got CANCELLED...

(BTW, I knew there was a serious problem when I arrived at the airport and my flight number on the departure monitor said "To Venice," instead of "To Paris" and all the Vueling employees didn´t seem to think that was strange).

Anyway, thirty minutes after we were scheduled to depart, the Vueling bastards cancelled my flight. Ahk! C-A-N-C-E-L-L-E-D. And thus, threatened to ruin my whole freaking Parisian trip!

So, as you can imagine, Sassy Catalina went into full Sassy Traveler action mode and I headed straight to the Iberian counter, and subsequently had to hussle my-ASS-off (not unlike a broke bar girl in a pool hall, mind you) to get a seat on an Iberia flight leaving THAT afternoon--and returning...? well, what the heck, let´s change the whole plan and stay a week, instead of four days!

So I did. And it was so fabulous that I can´t even express the magnitude of fabulosity, other than to say that I CAN´T BELIEVE I´VE BEEN WASTING ALL MY TIME IN MADRID. (whoops, did I just imply that Paris is so much better than Madrid?)

Why yes, I think I did!


Exhibit A: I have become official Euro-Trash.

So this is a picture to show everyone my new Eurotrash haircut, which I got in Madrid before my Parisian trip. Normally, if I got this hair cut in the States, I probably would have cried. But here, it completely makes me look and feel like utter Eurotrash, and I LOVE IT. Plus, before this hair cut, I was already getting asked for directions by Spaniards in Madrid at least once a day, which made me suspect that perhaps I was turning into Eurotrash.

But once I got to Paris, I seriously was getting asked for directions, like, THREE times a day (I swear, it´s true!). I have Exhibit A: Euro-Trash haircut to prove it.

-------------

Okay, so if having my flight cancelled on the way to Paris wasn´t bad enough.... there was a bomb threat at Orly on the day of my return!

And, of course, the suspicious abandoned suitcase just had to be left in the Iberian terminal, right as I was scheduled to leave for Madrid. Well, do you think I upset, distraught, mad-as-hell and-not-going-to-take-it-anymore? Hell no. I was thrilled. A bomb threat at Orly? Seriously blog-worthy.

This is a photo at the beginning of the bomb threat, when the French police tried to expell all the Spaniards from the terminal and away from the "bomb threat area." But because Spaniards are used to being the ones WHO expel, and are not used to being the ones who ARE expelled, the French police had very little luck because all the Spaniards kept crowding forward, wanting to see what was going to happen with the "abandoned-bomb-suitcase-in-question," as if watching the police deactivate a bomb somehow qualified as a spectator´s sport.

Well, not Sassy Catalina.

I sure as hell was NOT sitting around for the main event, so I left the terminal and went outside and across the street and behind the barricades..clarooooooo. Fifteen minutes later, the French police decided it might be a better idea to evacuate the terminal...in case, you know...the suitcase really was a bomb.

Of course, it wasn´t. But still, seriously blog-worthy.

(more fun, french euro'trashy pictures and stories to come...stay tuned)