Thursday, May 31, 2007

Swizterland - Vorsicht!

Okay, so this was the point in our hike when I got a little bit nervous when we came upon this sign: the evil sign with TWO directions to Gimmelwald. One plain Gimmelwald. And the second to Gimmelwald (Vorsicht!).

Well, as you might imagine, I instigated a very long discussion about what the heck (Vorsicht!) meant.

I mean, Vorsicht by itself, fine. I think I could have handled Vorsicht-plain. But Vorsicht- exclaimation point! That freaked me out. So I was not feeling good about the path to the right. Meanwhile, Dan was 100% for Vorsicht!

Minimally, the translation seemed OBVIOUS. Dan didn´t agree. He thought it probably just meant "Careful!", or "Steep!"...or "Nice Views!" (or something benign like that).

I said, "what if it means ´bear´?"

Dan said there were no bears in the Swiss Alps.

"Mountain Lion?"

Try again.

Well, in the end, there was no getting out of Vorsicht!. So I followed Dan and we took the Vorsicht! path, and below is the photo of Dan--at the start of the path--waving gleefully about never being seen or heard from again.


And then we stumble upon our first clue, and it dawned on me.

Of course... it is obvious.

Vorsicht! = "Oh Schit!"


Yeah, this is me, hanging back and taking the pictures while simultaneously encouraging Dan to keep forging ahead.


Ahhhhhhh Vorsicht!

I must admit that it was a pretty amazing view from behind the waterfall.

Below is me, smiling after our success, because Dan--the Vorsicht! master--was right!