Sunday, May 6, 2007

To Granada, With Love

This is me with my trusty blue umbrella (that I purchased in Rome, and has been quite the accommodating traveling companion--double click on photo for full effect) at the top of the Alhambra, the Moorish fortress conquered by the Catholic king and queen, Isabel and Ferdinand in the 15th century. Isabel and Ferdinand were the monarchs who united Spain during the Reconquista by kicking out all of the Moors and Jews who had made it a fabulous place to live for more than 8 centuries. (Sorry, Moors and Jews--Spaniards can be such bullies!)

I told Dan that Isabel and Ferninand were the ones who gave Christopher Columbus the money to discover the New World, and he said..." You mean the New World that had already been discovered by the Native Americans?" Clearly, I'm not going to win in my love for Granada's history...but still.

I had a fabulous time and I really enjoyed visiting the Alhambra. I had been there twice before, once in high school and once with my father and sister, but it's much better to see a historical site as an adult--on your own volition-rather than to be dragged there by your parents or teachers.